Thursday, February 28, 2013

Why the name Krysia Sunflowers

Why the name "Krysia Sunflowers" for my blog?


When I was a little girl, I was blessed to have this couple as my grandparents:

Babcia and Dziadziu


Babcia and Dziadziu (Polish for grandmother and grandfather) didn't have much but they were rich in love.  They immigrated to the United States from Poland, raised seven children, lived through the Great Depression, experienced joys and sorrows, and shared a love that lasted a lifetime.  If my grandparents had any favorites, I never knew it.  When I came to visit them, I felt special, cherished, and fed... fed both spiritually by their loving example and physically but my grandmother's amazing cooking.

My grandfather's nickname for me was Krysia.  He died when I was just 4 1/2 but I still fondly remember him calling me his little Krysia.  That, and his wonderful garden.  He had a true green thumb (one which I did not inherit).  It was a wonderful place to be and I imagine you can guess what my favorite plant is that he grew in his garden... Sunflowers.  Those sunflowers were enormous and so yellow - bright and cheerful.   They filled me with joy.  How can you look at a sunflower in all their glory and not feel joy?

And, for me, sunflowers remind this girl of being completely loved and cherished.  They remind me of what is really important in life; it is not things or status which are precious, rather, the people we love and faith we share.  They remind me of a couple who had little material wealth but shared it with all that entered their home.  

And so when thinking of a name for this blog, Krysia Sunflowers seemed fitting.  This is a place to share encouragement and meaning... a place to remind you (and me) how cherished you are... a place to remind you that you can flourish and bloom, even when you think you can't.  This is a place of joy. 

 "And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ."
Ephesians 3:17b-18

Praying you have many blessings and much joy,
Kristen
















No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear from you all!