Saturday, August 31, 2013

Before and After Curbside Cabinet

I have been busy with school prep for my preschool class but had time to squeeze in a DIY project that I have been wanting to do for quite some time.  We live in a cozy little cottage (988 square feet) that I love. It was built in the early 1900s and has such character and charm... it is also a work in progress.  With five people in our family, a dog and cat, every inch counts.  This is where my project comes in...

I have been looking for a cabinet for our TV, stereo, and miscellaneous things.  This cabinet was in our living room and served us well for over ten years and our old apartment and now our cottage.  The problem with it was its depth... we didn't need it so deep and it really cut into our living room space.





(I took this picture after I had taken stuff off the cabinet, but you get the idea)


I had been keeping my eye out for a new cabinet everywhere... thrift stores, curbside, etc.  Last week when I was on home visits for my new students I got to talking blogs and DIY projects with one of the moms.  She has a great eye!  When I mentioned I what I wanted as my next project, she said she would keep her eyes out too.  And, then I got the call... less than 24 hours later, she spotted this baby!



It was just sitting out on the curb with a free sign in a neighborhood about 10 minutes from me.  When my sweet husband got home, we took off to see if it would be what we were looking for and, more importantly, if it was still there.  Indeed it was a resounding yes on both counts!  We loaded it up into our VW wagon (it fit perfectly too), and hauled it home. 




All this cabinet needed was a little TLC... out came the sander



My youngest loves DIY projects and took a turn with the sander!



After putting on three coats of paint, we took a quick trip to Lowe's
 and picked out some new knobs & handles - which my husband installed for me after work




Here in the cabinet with the updates.   I chose to use white to go with the cottage style of our house
(it also helped that I already had white paint on-hand)... the hardware is brushed silver.
(I love that the hardware I liked best was also a great price - $7.83 total)




My dad is a loves all things audio and was kind enough to come over and
 hooked up our audio equipment once we had it in the new cabinet.  Thanks Dad!





The cabinet fits perfectly in our living room and gives us more space to move around too!





This is what the room looks like now... we are planning on painting the living room so nail holes will be filled and pictures & wall hangings repositioned...
but for now, I am so happy with the way it all turned out.


God's provisions come in all kinds of ways!  And, for that I am so thankful.  I had way more fun fixing this cabinet up the way I wanted than if I just bought something already done. Can't beat the price either!   And, we have a great story about how we got it!

Praying you have many blessings and much joy!
Kristen


2 comments:

  1. Great job making something new out of something old!
    I just came across this youth ministry site which has some great DIY ideas that can be co-opted for other uses (I think I'll be making the dry erase calendar) www.stuffyoucanuse.org

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeff, Thanks! I will have to check out that site:)

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear from you all!