Monday, July 8, 2013

Money Saving Monday - Three Dollar Porch Update

Our front porch is a favorite place for us to hang out for three seasons.  However, after a long Winter, it was looking pretty sad. There it sat all Spring.  I kept putting off doing something with it because I didn't have a lot of money to spend on it and perfectionism was ruling over me.  Are you ever like that?  Not blooming because it can't be perfect? 

Recently, I decided to tackle it using what I had and then spending only $3.  And, I am so happy with the results!  My husband and I spend a lot of time out here... just the two of us... well, sometimes a child, or two, or three head on out to join us.  You can usually find them climbing all over the porch wall:)

Here is where I started:



 
 









First up was a good sweeping and decluttering.  Then an old ripped curtain needed to go and a worn wreath needed to be updated.





 
 
For the wreath, I took off the old ribbon and faded fabric flower.  Then I repurposed some leftover material from an old tee shirt and made a new oversized flower (nice that it was in patriotic colors... just in time for July 4th). A found remnant of burlap strap in my craft closet became a new accent.
 
 
 
 
 
I had gotten this beautiful flowering plant from my preschool class in this amazing pot they decorated.  I was looking for the perfect spot for it and ended up putting it on an old metal crate found in our basement.  I smile when I see it each day!  Oh, those kids are precious!  The blue bird is one I had gotten at IKEA years ago... I just gave it a facelift with some blue paint I had.
 
 

 

 
 
 
I hung an old curtain up on a rod that previously held another curtain.  I gives us a little shade and little privacy too.  Our house is close to our neighbor's house and it is nice to have a little partition.
 
 
 
 

 
 
 
I bought these two bright blue placemats at our local dollar store. 
The brighten the table up and wipe clean with a damp cloth.  $2 spent makes a big impact!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I added a pinwheel just in time for the 4th of July and that cost another $1.
The flowers my husband planted for me in the planter we already had. 
He does our garden each year and these were some extra annuals he had gotten.
The old window frame has been hanging there for a couple of years... I love its character!
 
 
 

Does the porch still need to be painted?  Do the chairs need to be painted as well?... yep!   All in good time.   Living in an old house (circa 1908) there is always a plethora of projects that need to be done.  In the meantime, our porch is so much nicer and we are enjoying it a ton!  This morning we had spinach and cheese omelets out here.
 
I could have waited until I could do it perfectly but then we would have  missed out on enjoy a pretty sweet spot!   Now, that is blooming where I am planted!
 
So, tell me... what projects have you been putting of because of your perfectionism... or your lack of funds to do it just so?  Tackle it now... use what you have... and set a little budget... see what $3 and shopping my own home did!
 
Praying you have many blessings and much joy!
Kristen
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear from you all!