Friday, April 26, 2013

Faith-Filled Friday - Apart From Me, You Can Do Nothing

Happy Friday... hope you are well and have good plans with your families this weekend.  Here is what is on my heart today...


“I am the vine; you are the branches. 
If you remain in me and I in you, 
you will bear much fruit; 
apart from me you can do nothing."
John 15:5






This plant was a gift from my youngest for Mother's Day two years ago.  The vine is so life-giving;  it is one of the first plants I have gotten to thrive.  The leaves continually grow bright and green.  


This leaf came off the vine today.  It still has some great but it is dead.  It will no longer remain green and flourish.  Soon, it will lose it color and vitality and it will wither.  Slowly, it will dry out and turn brown.  Dead... even though it looks alive right now.

That is what Jesus says to us.  When we remain in Him, He will remain in us and we will bear much fruit.   Apart from Him, we can do nothing.  Have you tried doing things on your own?  I know I have.  Sometimes, I get running ahead of Jesus.  I try to do things my way, on my own.  Usually, those things fail.  Or, they go well for a while and then, I crash or things fall apart.  On my own, I cannot bear fruit.  I am not life-giving.  I stumble and fall.  Oh, if only I didn't have to learn this lesson over and over again.

Here is the amazing thing... when I abide in Him; Jesus says He will abide in me.  Not only that but I will be fruitful.   Things won't always go my way when I am abiding in Him; but I will be sustained by Him no matter what.  One of the synonyms for "abide" is "dwell".  I love that word.  To me, "to dwell" is to be safe, alive, and nurtured.   And, this promise is for both you and me.

I am sure this side of Heaven, there will still be times I run ahead.   But, more and more, I am learning to dwell.

Praying you have many blessings and much joy!
Kristen



No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear from you all!