Monday, April 1, 2013

Money-Stretching Monday - hutch before and after

Wanted to show  you a little before and after.  Paint on furniture can make a huge difference!  And, you can save oodles of money by loving what you have.

I have had a love/hate relationship with this hutch:

Before


I love the shape, the lines, and the wire screens I used in place of the glass doors.  This piece is great for storing our china and other things in our kitchen.  What I hate about it, is how dark it is in the corner.    The stain makes it look heavy and bulky; it also hides the beautiful detailing on the hutch. 

I was thinking about replacing it with something more airy and light.  That option isn't budget-friendly at this point.  Then I found this beautiful shade of aqua... it makes me smile just looking at it.



 
 
 
I got this 8 oz Valspar paint sample at Lowe's for free.  Yep, had a coupon for a free sample and they mixed the color right there for me at the store.  Without a coupon, this size is just under $3 - so not a big cost at all.  And, this is what I ended up with...

 
 
After
 
 
Now, I love my hutch... the color is fresh, bright, and cheery.  The beauty of the lines of the hutch now pop.   It is now one of my favorite pieces of furniture in my house. 
 
All I needed for this project was the paint sample and a piece of sandpaper to prep the surface for painting.  I love the result.  This piece looks fresh and new.  And, I still have some paint leftover in the sample for another little project. 
 
Take another look at the furniture in your home.  It is it tired and worn out?  Imagine what a little paint could do for you. For about $3 you could have a whole new piece.   Now that is money-stretching for sure!
 
Praying you have many blessings and much joy!
Kristen


p.s. we are working on painting the interior of our house... I am thinking a vintage yellow for the kitchen - I think it would go beautifully with my hutch:)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear from you all!