Thursday, April 4, 2013

Think About It Thursday - Stop the Comparisons

Good Morning!

Today I want to share what is on my heart about this blog

This is what I want for this blog

I want it to be a place...

to encourage
~ to inspire
~ to spark creativity
~ to encourage
~ to share joys and sorrows
~ to wrestle through hard things
~ to build faith
~ to instill in each of us how precious we are to Jesus
~ to try
~ to love
~ to bloom

What I don't want for this blog

~ to judge
~ to compare
~ to discourage
~ to be unkind
~ to belittle
~ to set up unrealistic expectations for any of us


I feel that burning in my heart is the need to say:  we need to stop comparing ourselves to others.   I am talking about that comparison game a lot of us play... a game that doesn't build us up, but rather breaks us down.  I play it myself all too often.  Here are some of the things that run through my mind when I compare myself to others: "She is so talented... my talents don't measure up", "She is so creative and I am not", "How does she get it all done... and look beautiful while doing that", "They are so ____________ (fill in the blank)... and I am not.", "I should _________________  (fill in the blank).  I know I am not alone in this.

We need to stop the comparisons!  Life is both joyful and sorrowful.  Some days are downright hard... crushing.  We need to celebrate our gifts and the gifts of others.  The game of comparison doesn't do that.  In fact, it does the exact opposite. This game blocks us from seeing our own gift.  It also hides the struggles in others.  I am hear to tell you something I am sure of... we all have gifts and we all have weaknesses.  The comparison game doesn't tell us that.   The truth is, we all have issues.  None of us have it all together. 

This is not to say that we cannot look to others and see things in them that inspire us to grow and change.  We can all learn from each other.  We are unique,  precious, and loved.   We all have something to offer.  And, we will only bloom when we are ourselves - not trying to be someone else.
 

“Today you are You, that is truer than true.
There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” 
 Dr. Suess


Praying you have many blessings and much joy!
Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear from you all!