Thursday, March 7, 2013

Bring on Spring!

Living in New England, you learn that if you don't like the weather, wait a minute and it will change. We have had a few warmer day recently. I have thoroughly enjoyed.  Now, however, we are in the midst of a late winter storm.



so white!


 I am feeling done with winter.  The thought of warmer days and colorful blooming flowers makes this girl giddy.  Since the weather outside is not cooperating with me, I thought I would share a fun Spring project with you!

I started out with this bright yellow watering can on our desk.  Love the watering can, but the fake flowers... well, not so much.

before
I love most thing orange but the flowers were somehow lacking in personality.  Since, no flowers are blooming around here, I thought I could make some that looked at lot better than what I had.  Rummaging around my fabric bins, I found some pretty silky orange material and cut really imperfect circles from it.  Note:  cotton does not work for this project and will only burn... silky materials or netting work well!



imperfect circles work well for this - use all different sizes


Then I melted the edges by holding each circle over a candle and turning them as I went along.
Just be careful not to get too close to the flame.  Trust me... I have personal experience with burning the material and and myself.



the candle melts the edges and adds a bit of ambiance:)


This is what I ended up with:



imperfect circles are looking better


I piled up three or four petals in different sizes like this:

petal pile


Then added a button to each bloom (I knew that jar of old buttons would come in handy someday).  I sewed the petals together along with a button to make each flower.  You could just as easily use a hot glue gun.  I say run with whatever works for you!

a pretty bouquet

My yard is full of sticks so I grabbed a few and used some wire to attached the blooms to them like this:




And here is the before and after:)

before

after


The colors are more vibrant than show up picture below and make me smile!

I even saved one aside and added a pin so I can wear it!

a pretty pin


So take that Winter, because in my house, Spring Has Sprung!!!

Praying you have many blessings and much joy!
Kristen























No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear from you all!