Monday, March 25, 2013

Money-Stretching Monday - Take it Down a Notch

For the last two weeks, my Sunday newspaper has been inundated with sales flyers for Easter.  I expect that from the world of adverstising; It's a good marketing strategy.  Easter is a time of celebration and joy and we love our children.  So, let's show them our love by buying them stuff.  Now. let me preface my thoughts on this by saying -  I love Easter!  As, a Christian, it is the most important day of the year; it is the basis of my faith.  And, I love to celebrate.  Even as my children are getting older,  I still love filling their Easter baskets with candy... including a solid chocolate bunny - no hollow bunnies here.  And, I think you are never too old for an Easter egg hunt!   Here is where I think we need to take it down a notch.   When I was growing up, we had Easter baskets filled with candy and maybe a new outfit to wear for Easter Sunday.   Now however, advertisers and society tell us that we need to give our children toys, expensive purses, electronics, bikes, cell phones... the list goes on and on. 
I believe it is time we take it down a notch.  Let's take a step back and see what is really important.   We live in a time where people are over-scheduled, information overloaded, and homes are overstuffed.  People are drowning in debt and the economy is still in a tough state.  I really believe we have the power to make a big change for our families by stopping the madness of overindulgence.  It is not good for us and it is not good for our families.  Be counter cultural.  Celebrate the real meaning of Easter with your family.  Spend time with them.  Make the day special by having a nice meal.  Go ahead and fill those Easter baskets with some candy.  Have an Easter egg hunt if you want.  This is what really matters to your family.  And don't be surprised if your day is more joyful and less stressed.  That is good for your budget, good for your family, and good for your soul.
Praying you have many blessings and much joy!
Kristen



No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear from you all!