Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Sticker Charts - Not Just for Kids... and an update!

Greetings on this Tuesday morning.  Now that I have a couple weeks of blogging under my belt, I am ready to take it a step further.  I want to be intentional about how I blog and what I blog about. Right now I am thinking about organizing my posts during the week something like this:

Mondays - Monday Saving Mondays
~ money saving tips and ideas

Tuesdays - Tortoise Tuesdays
~things and tips to motivate you to be the Tortoise not the Hare

Wednesdays - What I Wore Wednesday
~ I will be linking up with this amazing blog Thepleatedpoppy.com/blog

Thursdays - Think About it Thursdays
~topics and things to get us thinking... and some posts about some pretty amazing people

Fridays - Faith-Filled Fridays
~ pondering about what it means to be a Christian and living with Jesus in my heart

Here is today's first post on Tortoise Tuesday

The name for the day of the week stems from the well-known tale of the Tortoise and the Hare.  The Tortoise is not know for his lighting -face speed but rather his slow pace; whereas, the Hare is know to be quick and light on his feet.  The two face off in a race with the Hare taking off like a cannonball - fast and furious.  The Tortoise on the other hand, is more like a slow trickle from a leaky sink.  All bets are on the Hare.  But you know what?  That Hare is a bright brilliant blooming show that fades out quickly.  And then there is that blessed Tortoise; he trickles and flows along - slow and steady.  And then he does the unthinkable - He blooms.  It is is not a flashy quick bloom.  No, his bloom is slow in coming, beautiful, and long lasting!   He wins out over the favored Hare!

So often, I start out like the Hare.  Racing around, trying to make a huge impact... quickly.  What I can often end up with is more fizzle.   But the older I get, the more I am learning to bloom like the Tortoise. Along the way, I am learning oh so much; more often than not, I am learning the hard way.

Today I want to share with you a little chart that has helped me ever so much.   By day, I am a preschool teacher.   I love finding helpful tools to use in school.  Sticker charts are one of those wonderful tools to help children work on a goal.  They are simple, effective, and fun to use with all those stickers.  Children love to watch those stickers fill up a page as they work towards a goal and a reward.  In my own life, I have been trying for the longest time to lose weight and keep it off after having three beautiful children.  So often, I have started in the Spring like the Hare.  I am motivated and lose the weight.  Ah, but as the Hare, I quickly tire and through the Winter, I gain it all back.  Until I implemented this:


My Sticker Chart

It is simple... a visual reminder of each time I exercise.  This little chart hangs on my fridge and inspires me when I feel like giving up.  This year I have finally achieved success!  No high priced equipment, gym, or shoes have done for me what this little baby has.  With Spring right around the corner, I realize I am still wearing the smaller size clothing I bought.   But more importantly, I am feeling better.  All because of this little chart, I am The Tortoise!

What goals do you have that could be helped by a simple sticker chart?  Hope you'll try it out!

Praying you have many blessings and much joy!
Kristen



1 comment:

  1. Kristen here... one of my dear sisters in law asked me if there I had a reward at the end of filling up one of my charts. I haven't been doing that but I do think it is a great idea! For me, it would be a new magazine, some new fabric, some beads, or maybe a trip to the thrift store to find a treasure... what would your reward be?

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear from you all!